Like to talk with people in Somalia while you’re on vacation trip? Or perhaps need to know the essential every day phrases in Somali.
What ever your reasons are we have displayed information on Somali combined with some basic Somali words here. Select the web links on this webpage to find out about Somali language.
Languages Spoken in Somalia
The people of Somalia speak Somali. The main national and official language of Somalia is Somali. Somali is a Afro-Asiatic language and placed 49th based on number of native speakers of 10 million.
We’ve created a selection of standard Somali holiday language phrases or words, that a traveler could use to manage in Somalia. We highly recommend you master them from Somali travel phrases website.
Advice For Understanding Somali Language
- Conversation and much more conversation in Somali – The trick to master Somali is hours and hours of conversation with people who speaks Somali much better than you. An hour or so of talking (with corrections and Somali dictionary for reference) is as beneficial as five hours in a Somali classroom and 10 hours with a Somali language training course on your own.
- Studying Somali language for three or four hours daily for two weeks is a lot more useful for learning Somali than studying 1 hour a day for three months. It is no wonder that many Somali learners taking language lessons in school and never remember it in the long run. The secret to learn the Somali is intensity of of study.
- Get started with the 100 most common Somali phrases and attempt to come up with sentences using them. Learn just enough Somali grammar so that you can accomplish this and do it until you feel fairly at ease with all of them.
- Continue practicing these sentence in your mind. The other benefit from for your dictionary is that you can practice these sentences in Somali while going about your day and not conversing with any one.
- Take a pocket Somali dictionary or an English-Somali dictionary app on your smartphone.
- Work out the Somali pronunciation patterns.
- Start using Somali audio and online courses for the first 100 words and phrases and basic grammar in Somali language.
- After the first 100 phrases in Somali, focus on starting to be conversational. Studies have shown that the most everyday 100 words in Somali language account for 50% of all spoken conversation. The most common 1,000 words account for 80% of all spoken communication.
- “How do you say X?” in Somali is a vital sentence you can possibly learn. Master it early and then use it often.
What do I need to study Somali language?
- Somali language courses are offered as traditional language courses, audio tutorials and online classes. The traditional Somali courses are made up of dialogue textbooks, explanation of Somali grammer and exercises. Normally they are available either in CDs or MP3s.
Many of these courses are designed for complete beginners or people with only minimal knowledge of the Somali language.
One of the main vendors these Somali language courses is Linguaphone who also have courses for in excess of One hundred languages and include all audio courses, explorer courses for people who would like to learn the basics, and in-depth courses for more serious students.
The other service provider of language courses is Teach Yourself and Colloquial courses and they offer a wide range of languages.
- Somali Audio Courses is commonly made of CDs or MP3s with modest printed content. All dialogues, exercises, instructions and explanations of %%are recorded and the focus of these courses is teaching you to understand and speak the language.
- Pimsleur language courses gives you authentic pronunciation in Somali and a achievable amount of vocabulary.
- Computer Based Language Learning are available on CD-ROMs and DVDs. Each of these courses often contain dialogues, audio, exercises and tests in Somali.
Teach Me! and Transparent Language present you with a wide range of language courses on CDs and MP3s with vocabularly and grammar exercises.
If you want to find further information about going to Somalia from Canberra, Australia, please be sure to choose the appropriate links listed below:
Please feel free to express your viewpoints with the Somali Embassy in Canberra, Australia. Whether you’re obtaining a visa for going to Somalia or notarizing documents or simply just trying to chat to an individual at the Somali visa office in Canberra. Let us know by simply submitting it on this page.
Please Remember: Your remarks are going to be viewed by the general public, due to this you should not include confidential information.